Thursday, April 27, 2006

Fuse Conference

A few days ago I had the opportunity to check out the FUSE conference on branding and package design at the Waldorf Astoria, thanks to my Aunt Minda. I came to hear my her speak about Target's commitment to "design for all" When I arrived I found out that she was going to be joined by a young woman who revolutionized the design of prescription drug packaging named Deborah Adler. It was nice to meet Deborah (who's work I have seen at the MOMA) and she was super cool. Despite being nervous before speaking in front of hundreds of people, Deborah pulled off her talk really well. First my Aunt spoke about Target's commitment to design and how creativity and art fits into the company philosophy. I found all this really inspiring, especially the companies view that the staff should be surrounded by art because it encourages creative thought. That has always been something I have agreed with and one of the primary motivations behind Installations@EMF. Next Deborah talked about how her concept for ClearRx came into fruition with the help of my Aunt and Target. It turns out that what eventually became ClearRx was initially her thesis in grad school at SVA. The whole experience was incredible and I am very indebted to my Aunt Minda for hooking me up with a pass to see her talk. Did I mention that I also met Milton Glazer? THANKS Minda!

More info on Minda can be found in this NYTimes article or you can google her. For more info on Deborah check out an interview with her here

Minda and Deborah before they hit the stage

This is what the ClearRx bottles look like. They were initially Deborah's idea, but Target assisted in the final design that you see here.

Minda and I after her talk

Minda and Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home