Thursday, April 27, 2006

Salon De Cultura

Last night my friend Wendy invited me to the first "Salon de Cultura" which she billed as, "A forum for discussion on international urban art." I am a big fan of graffiti, having been a practitioner for a while, and recently I've even grown to enjoy some street art. I had no idea what to expect, but I was totally blown away. After an hour or so of mingling, Ariston Anderson-one of the event's hosts-previewed a screening of the trailer for her work-in-progress, "Urban Art," which she describes as "a unique exchange of international street artists working alongside South American artists in Buenos Aires, Argentina 2005-2006." My brother is currently doing his thing in BA thanks to study abroad, and the screening that Ariston showed made me want to go down there even more. It was shot beautifully with lots of great snippets from various artists including Swoon, whose work I'm a big fan of, and who I happened to have the pleasure of meeting last night.

AKIM was so cool. He's from Germany and his style is crazy. Some of the coolest concepts for graffiti and street art that I've ever seen.
Caleb and Daze catching up on "Graffiti in Brasil"

Following the screening, a number of artists showed a brief slide show and talked about their work and artistic process. The artists included Swoon, Darius & Downey London (who's stuff was very cool), my homeboy Caleb/Sonik, Akim and Zast (both of whom are doing some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen in street art and graffiti, Cekis (from Chile) and Daze (one of the most famous old school graffiti artists from NYC). Needless to say, this was a really fresh event and I feel incredibly fortunate to have met so many artists and been able to ask them questions about their work. Thanks Wendy! More Flicks Below

Wendy, Ariston and a friend
Allie discussing her work

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home